Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Nativity Story

Why have I not heard of this coming film until now? Am I behind? Does everyone else know about this film on the story of the Nativity, releasing on December 1st, except for me. I wouldn't be surprised! That's what happens I guess when you live your life with your face stuck in the books of Hegel, Ricoeur, or Aristotle.

I am very impressed, however, that this movie will be coming out. It seems it will be very good and has been very well done (in terms of historical and cultural accuracy), judging from the trailers and other clips on The Nativity Story website. Although, I can't help but think that people's experience of this film will be tainted by too much bickering over details, viz., the details surrounding the degree of Mary's knowledge of who this Child is, or how (for Catholics perhaps most likely) Mary will inevitably be "inaccurately" portrayed as being perhaps too "human," in the finite sense of humanity, and not living up to her status as immaculate. I have already seen a review of someone complaining that Joseph was portrayed too young. Indeed, in the past, I myself would have assuredly caused a debate over such details. Although they are not necessarily unimportant, I can see now how the most important thing is how people experience God in the film and may come to a closer relationship; I am sick of all the bickering between Christians on these points and think Christians as a whole should good-heartedly promote this film. This movie will be excellent for that; I was moved simply from seeing the trailers.

"The Nativity Story chronicles the arduous journey of two people, Mary and Joseph, a miraculous pregnancy, and the history-defining birth of Jesus." Starring Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider, Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith (as Queen of Naboo)) as Mary and Oscar Issac (Guerrilla) as Joseph.

In any case, I think it's amazing that these high quality films on the life of Christ are continually being released. The Passion of the Christ has set a precedent in contemporary film, at least to the extent that it gives hope to Christian film-makers, insofar as it shows that such movies can actually be released and do well in the public square. I'm greatly looking forward to this one.

No comments: